As you begin your week, remember Your Why, Your Purpose. We all need to continue to send positive energy to our Bulldog community for an amazing week!
2nd Quarter Benchmark Testing
We will be giving Benchmark and NC Check-In testing this week. Mr. Brown has emailed the testing plan on Friday 1/12/18, please make sure you read the plan carefully. There are multiple tabs at the bottom which has the daily schedule, accommodations for each test, accommodated sites, and the testing rooms. Homeroom teachers please make sure you tell students where to go if they have accommodations. If you are giving an accommodated test please verify you have all your students and providing the required modifications.
Everyone has a bag of testing supplies in Mr. Brown’s office which will need to be picked up between 6:30 and 7:10 each morning. This bag will have everything (except pencils) you will need for that day’s test, including; directions, test manual, class roster, and paper. Many teachers kept the pencils from the last round of testing. If you returned them, there will be additional pencils for you, but we do not have enough for everyone. All testing materials must be returned when you are finished with testing. This includes paper (please separate used and unused) and test manuals.
If you have students that do not have an iPad please have them use the desktop in your classroom, or a desktop on your team if possible. We are very limited on the number of laptops we have available and we do not have an extra teacher to test in the computer lab.
Please see Mr. Brown with any testing questions.
Marketing Team Committee information — Our marketing team wanted to share our goal for our committee:
To proudly promote and inform all members of our West Rowan Bulldog family about school wide functions.
Over the next couple of months, you will be hearing about some upcoming events/incentives to help promote our #WEstBullogs on Social Media (especially Twitter). We want to encourage our students, teachers, parents and other community members to follow West Rowan Middle (@westrowanmiddle) on Twitter. We want you, our students, parents, and community members who are taking pictures at events and sharing our Bulldog news to use #WEstBullogs. Anytime you want to share the great learning that is occurring in your classroom, the success of your teams, clubs, or concerts/shows please use #WEstBulldogs. We wanted to remind you that we haven’t had a single student in our school to “opt-out” of being on any type of social media representing our school; therefore, you are free to post pictures or videos of your students.
We have some exciting ideas that our committee members have come up with to show our community what a great school we are! We are looking forward to sharing & developing those and seeing what you share on Twitter or any other social media sites. Please remember to use #WEstBulldogs! If you have any ideas that you would like to share with a committee member, please contact one of the following people: Tara Hoffman, Emily Shue, Jerry Pittman, Holly Brumley, Timothy Kepley, Marian Hough, Taylor Spakes, Mark Sells, Jenny Horton or Tricia Hester.
Priorities Moving Forward
As we move into the second half of the year we should reflect and commit on our actions and efforts to help support students in finishing the year ahead of where they came to us. Growth is achievable for all students. There are many things that we bring to our collective attention – things that we learn and grow on that help students learn at high levels:
- Planning – committing to growth conversations during PLCs/Protected Planning involves a lot of things that help with student achievement [staying on topic with an agenda, bringing in data and student work, identifying skills students need and standards to be taught and what we will do for the students who got it, kinda got it, and don’t got it];
- Guided Instruction – intentional planning for conversations to have with students at all levels of learning and need in our classroom;
- Building relationships – Students who know you care, will jump keep trying to reach higher than what’s in their grasp;
- Connecting with home and families;
- Reviewing and enhancing classroom practices as needed;
- Distinction between what we need to teach vs what we want to teach.
We all have a lot to do and these are some of our focuses and priorities. As we keep learning and moving forward, what helps us maintain is knowing we are in this together and growth for all students is possible.
Bridge Program from Horizons – Wednesday at 2:00 in the media center, personnel from Horizons will be out to meet with all students from the Horizons Program. We are working on getting a comprehensive list of students to share with you ahead of time.
Keeping Parents Informed
This picture was taken Friday afternoon after dismissal. Mrs McNeely took a couple of minutes to call parents before heading out. Its critical that we are letting parents know about student progress. Being proactive and contacting parents is an impressive way to build community. A big part of that includes updating grades in a timely manner. Lastly, please make sure to respond when parents contact us within 24 hours – this includes all communication. Giving a few minutes makes a big difference to the lives of our students.
#WRStrong Arts Showcase – If you missed the #WRStrong Arts Showcase Thursday night, you missed an evening of our students stepping up and showing their talent and courage displaying hard work from months of coaching and passion. This was a big turnout for K-12 community as families came out to see performances from all levels.
Thanks to Ms Spakes and Mr Bowman and their students for their performances and Coach Epps for helping submit pieces from our talented students.
- Website: If you haven’t seen the county website recently one of the pictures we had posted on our own website is now featured on the county site. We are posting new pictures and content to our website constantly. If you have any good pictures or would like anything posted to the website please send these items to Mrs. Shue or myself.
- Live: If you have something awesome going on in your classroom… big projects, great lesson, great student product, etc…that you would like for your parents or community to see we can use Facebook Live to show your and your students awesomeness. If this is something that you are interested in let Mr. Pittman know!
- Self Service: Many of you have been experiencing issues with some students being able to download apps while other students cannot. Here is the reason why. Before the break, a change was made in our purchasing process for app licensees. This change was strongly recommended to be made and assurances were made that this “small” change would not affect the current app purchasing process. After the break, we began to notice that students were unable to download certain apps. Upon further diagnostics, we found that the change that was made was indeed the cause of the problem. We began to work on a solution, that was when the JSS decided to go down for a week. Now that the system is back up and running we are working on getting the app licensees issues resolved. However, we do not think this will be a speedy fix. Please know that barring semester one testing, this is our top priority. We will be working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. In the meantime, you will continue to see that some students can download apps while others cannot, but this should get better as the week progresses.
January PD reminders:
- No scheduled PD Tuesday, the 16th & 23rd
- Please use the time to analyze benchmark performance using the Benchmark Data Analysis Document
- Intervention groups should be created prior to January 30th
- I Love Reading challenge began on January 12th and continues through February 12th.
- Students completing 20 articles at or above 75% will participate in the Success Celebration the last Enrichment block on February 14th
- A new shipment of class rosters just came in…drop by my room and pick some up!
- Student cards for the “I’m Achieving” wall are organized by homeroom will be in your mailboxes Tuesday morning
- Homeroom teachers can determine the number of articles read at 75% or higher with just a few clicks:
Tap the “hamburger” at the top left of the screen, select performance, How are my students performing on activities?, set the date from August 28th – January 16th, which activity types? Activities that factor into Lexile adjustments, view report
- Students can share their current progress towards the 40 and 80 article goal by displaying their card in the appropriate location
“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” – Dalai Llama
Thank you for your attention during our Friday meeting. We look forward to ongoing collaboration during our Friday meetings.
Remember after a student has been absent for 3 days, please contact the parent. Then if absences continue please let Mrs. Muire know as soon as possible, so we can check on these kiddos.
Pasta 4 Patients! Money collection for the fantastic charity will be Wednesday. NJHS members will be collecting from you during their first enrichment. Wednesday will also be a dollar or more for jeans day. Encourage your students to participate as each dollar will go into your total. Jenny will put stickers in your box to hand out to student who participate. We will announce the leaders the following day.
“Take time to be kind and to say ‘thank you.” – Zig Ziglar
Saturday Jan 13
- RSS 8th Basketball Tournament, 8:00-3:30 Southeast MS
Monday Jan 15
- Martin Luther King Holiday
Tuesday Jan 16
- ELA Benchmark
- JV Basketball vs Erwin MS @ home
- Department Meetings
Wednesday Jan 17
- Math Benchmark
- Bridge Meeting [Horizon’s Science Program] 2:00 in Media Center
Thursday Jan 18
- Science Benchmark
- JV Basketball vs CLMS Home
Friday Jan 19
- Social Studies Benchmark
- Early Release
Monday Jan 22
- Teacher workday
- Marketing meeting 8:00 am
- Math professional development 1:00-2:30
Tuesday Jan 23
- 6th Grade to Horizons
- JV Basketball @ China Grove
Wednesday Jan 24
- 6th Grade to Horizons
Thursday Jan 25
- JV Basketball @ Mooresville
Friday Jan 26
- WRMS Bulldog Wear Day
- All District Band Clinic (half day)
- Exploratory meeting with guidance in Collaboration room
- Sign up genius sign ups–last block
Monday Jan 29
- Grade Level Awards during Exploratories (students DO NOT dress up/parents are invited)
- JV Basketball vs Knox @ Home
Tuesday Jan 30
- Professional Development/PLCs
Thursday Feb 1
- JV Basketball @ North Rowan
Friday Feb 2
- WRMS Data Visit (8-8:50 am)
- Good Bulldog Award Party (1:30-2:30)
Monday Feb 5
- 8th grade leadership meeting
- SIT meeting
- JV Basketball vs SE @ home
Tuesday Feb 6
- 8th graders go on High School visit
- PD for grade levels and exploratory
Wednesday Feb 7
- RSS Data meeting @ 7:45
- WRMS Community Roundtable
- JV Basketball vs North @ home
Thursday Feb 8
- BT/Mentor meeting
- JV Basketball @ Erwin
Monday Feb 12
- Leadership 7th grade
- Faculty meeting
- JV Basketball @ Corriher-Lipe
Tuesday Feb 13
- PD for grade levels and exploratory
- Band Booster meeting
Wednesday Feb 14
- Success celebration
- 8th grade to Norvell Theater
Thursday Feb 15
- JV Basketball vs China Grove @ home
Friday Feb 16
- Early Release
- Why Students Should Learn to Code and How to Get Started
- Setting Up Effective Group Work
- 6 Common Mistakes Speakers Make When Using Slides – This is a great article to read up and share with students if your class is about to present. Discuss these points to with them to help them develop presentations and COMMUNICATE effectively, not read from a screen